01 October 2010

What To Take?

So now that the excitement over moving to Europe has subsided (a little, at least), I have to focus on what to bring with me. I'm fortunate enough that relocation expenses are covered in my salary package. Knowing that the shipping will be paid by someone else doesn't help make the decision about what to take any easier.

The question becomes, what is important enough to drag it across the ocean? In trying to answer this question, I started looking at what I own. In almost every category of item, clothes, books, electronics, I have something that is superfluous. Do I really need it all? Does anyone?

I pruned down my wardrobe several months ago. My clothes have been downsized twice since then. I have a much smaller wardrobe, in quantity, not size, but wonder if it's still not bloated with extra stuff that I don't use very often.

Books have always been important. I've whittled my collection down to a single box of about 12 books. I'm certain that there will be book stores in Germany, with books in English. I looked at my stash of Robert Heinlein books and wondered if they wouldn't serve someone else better than carting them across the ocean for the once-in-five-years reading that might happen.

On the other hand, a reminder of home is a good thing when you are surrounded by so many unfamiliar things. There is a certain comfort in reading a familiar book, with all of the memories about the first time you read the book, that helps lessen the loneliness of being away from home.

I'm trying to keep my shipment to a minimum. I'm also a little worried that I'm going to need something that I leave at home. I'd rather do without than have to store something in my tiny apartment and never use it.

No comments: