24 September 2010

New Job and New Blog

" . . . it was the worst of times."
A few months ago, I became unemployed. It happens. So I did what anyone would do, began a job search. Things were . . . disconcerting. I was not worried about finding a job. I was worried about finding a job before my money ran out.

I sent out about 200 resumes. I received a few phone calls and some emails, but nothing too promising. Then I received a phone call about a position out of state. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes, which was rather long for a phone interview.



I try to be as honest as possible with potential employers. There's no sense in faking your way into a job that you can't perform. It just leads to misery for everyone involved.

This policy led to me not getting the job after the long interview. The employer needed someone who could hit the ground running and I was going to require some lead-in time. The interview ended with the promise of holding onto my resume and considering me for future positions. It was a line that I have heard before and never amounts to much. It's the new and improved version of "Don't call us, we'll call you."

I kept sending out the resumes and hoping for the best. I received a call about a great job in California, working for a company that produces software I've used extensively in my work experience and during my education. This was a great opportunity. Co-located in the same town is a top-ranked university for my post-graduate studies. The company also pushes employees to continue their training and education. This position was a win-win all around.

"It was the best of times . . ."
So the day before I was to start negotiating the terms of my employment, I receive a call back from my endurance-interviewer. For some reason, I didn't get to my phone in time. So I receive a voice mail along the lines of:

"Hey, Chad. I remembered you saying you were open to relocating. How do you feel about Germany? Give me a call. I may have a position for you."

I asked the wife, knowing she would give me an emphatic "YES!!!," and called him back. Twelve hours later, I had interviewed, been offered a great position and signed my letter of intent to take the position. I was going to Germany!

Over the next few days, I made the awkward phone calls to withdraw from consideration for all of the resumes I had sent out. The California job wanted to counter with a 65% increase on a salary that was already generous. I didn't hesitate to turn them down. I didn't even consult my wife. I knew, correctly, in case you're wondering, that no amount of money would be worth passing up living and working in Europe.

A New Direction
After abandoning this blog for two years, I've decided to pick back up and refocus my writing on my experiences in Germany. I plan to write about the process of relocating across the ocean, cool adventures in Germany and the little cultural differences, the variations of the "Royale with cheese," if you will. My hope is that you, my avid readers, find this adventure as exciting as I do.

No comments: